Broken Bone Emergency Treatment in Dallas
Know the Signs of a Broken Bone Emergency
A broken bone, also known as a bone fracture, is a serious injury that should be treated as soon as possible. While all broken bones should be treated right away, not all of them are considered emergencies. In some cases, you will be better served at an urgent care center rather than the emergency room.
The following are some signs that a broken bone does require emergency care:
- The bone is protruding from the skin
- You can see the bone or feel it through the skin
- You have difficulty moving the injured limb
- The injured area looks different than usual
- There are other injuries accompanying the broken bone
- You feel faint or are about to lose consciousness
- There is bleeding around the injury
- The injured area is numb
If any of the symptoms above occur after an injury, visit your local ER or call 911 immediately.
First Aid Tips
There are several things you can do for a person with a broken bone while waiting for help. First, wrap up any open wounds to stop bleeding. Keep the injured area immobilized and have the person lie still. Make sure they are comfortable but try to keep their movement to a minimum. Apply an ice pack to the area for ten minutes at a time. Keep the person calm by talking to them and assuring them that help is on the way.
Remember, anxiety and panic can make emergency situations worse. The most important thing you can do is contact emergency dispatchers. Once that’s done, try to stay calm and speak with a confident and reassuring tone.