Having a Safe Fourth of July
Between the barbecues and the firework shows, the Fourth of July is always filled with fun. But, along with this fun comes the risk of injury for you and your family.
Here are some tips to make sure your celebrations go off without a bang (unless it’s a firework!)
Fireworks sure are a sight to see, but they are often one of the most dangerous parts about the Fourth of July and can cause serious bodily harm.
Here are some things to remember whether you’re viewing fireworks or setting them off:
- Do not give fireworks to small children.
- Never point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, or structures.
- Follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a bucket of water or hose close by.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
Did you ask your guests to bring their swim trunks to the party? While splashing around in the pool is fun for every member of the family, it can also turn dangerous quickly.
From sprains, concussions, and broken bones to accidental drownings, it’s important to stay safe while enjoying the pool this summer. Ensure you keep having fun in the sun:
- Never leave your children unattended.
- Never swim alone.
- Make sure everyone in the pool knows how to swim.
- Enter the pool feet first, not head first.
- Don’t mix swimming and drinking alcohol.
- Be mindful of the weather and stay on land if there’s a storm.
A great barbeque is a quintessential Fourth of July event — but if food is left out for too long, your backyard bash could turn into a disaster. Food can spoil more easily in the hot summer weather, making proper food preparation essential. Use these tips to ensure your summer food is safe to eat:
- Avoid cross-contamination of food.
- Wash your hands and surfaces frequently when cooking.
- Cook your food to the right temperature.
- Refrigerate your food quickly after use or eating.
Also, remember to be careful while using your grill to prevent burns!
Summer Emergency Care in Dallas
We hope you have a fun and safe Fourth of July, and our team at Advance ER is prepared to take care of your family should an accident occur.
We have two Dallas-area locations to serve you so that when the time comes that you need emergency services, you can get here quickly and we can serve you well!