Emergency Care for Abdominal Pain in Dallas
When is Stomach Pain an Emergency?
Stomach pain is not unusual, and in most cases, it is not an emergency situation. However, it is important to monitor the symptoms and seek help if the pain feels severe or unusual in any way. There are times where abdominal pain can be a medical emergency, so it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the emergency symptoms.
Abdominal pain may be an emergency if:
- You are pregnant
- You recently had an abdominal surgery
- The pain is accompanied by pain or pressure in the chest
- You are having difficulty breathing
- Your vision is blurry or obscured
- You feel dizzy, faint, or disoriented
- You are coughing or vomiting up blood
- Your stomach is expanding in size
- Your pain is accompanied by bloody diarrhea or vomiting
- You are unable to have a bowel movement and feel nauseous
These are serious symptoms and you should call 911 or visit your local ER if they are present with abdominal pain.
On the other hand, if your pain is not consistent or severe, it’s unlikely that you are dealing with an emergency situation.
Is it Appendicitis?
Many people wonder if their abdominal pain is appendicitis (an appendix that is about to burst). If you have not yet had your appendix removed then it could be a possibility.
Symptoms of appendicitis include:
- Sudden pain that appears on the right side of the lower abdomen
- Pain that gets worse when moving
- Bloating in the abdominal area
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Pain that begins around the navel and moves to the right side
While appendicitis is a medical emergency, do not panic if you experience sudden abdominal pain. Monitor your symptoms and carefully assess how you’re feeling. Remember that anxiety can make physical symptoms worse, so try to remain calm as you assess yourself. Appendicitis is usually very noticeable and hard to mistake – but if you are truly worried then it is better to be safe than sorry.
Contact Advance ER for more information about emergency care for abdominal pain in Dallas.